What You Should Know About Efficient Heating Systems

Serving Families Throughout Alexandria

As winter approaches, it is increasingly important for you to consider some of the steps you can take to improve the efficiency of your heating systems in Alexandria, VA. While this might simply mean engaging in the proper maintenance to ensure your systems are clean and tuned up to maximize their efficiency, it could also mean replacing them with U.S. Department of Energy-recommended heating systems that are inherently more efficient than the equipment you have in place.

Here’s a quick overview of common types of heating systems and their efficiency for you to consider if you’re in the market for a replacement before winter hits.

Heat pumps

Heat pumps are the single most efficient heating system you’ll find on the market. The general idea behind them is that they collect heat and transport it from place to place, taking that heat out of your home to make it cooler in the summer and bringing in heat from outdoors to make it warmer in the winter. These pumps are occasionally capable of producing four times as much energy output as it takes in to provide power to the system.

There are a couple of different types of heat pumps. Air source heat pumps are designed to take heat from and release it into the air surrounding the equipment, using refrigerants for heat transfer.

Geothermal heat pumps, meanwhile, use the soil outside the home, or a body of water close to your home, as the primary source of heat capture and release instead of the air. They require a series of loops to be installed underground to transfer either water or refrigerant to gather and transfer heat from place to place. These systems are the most efficient, cutting heating bills by as much as 70 percent.


While heat pump systems are inherently more efficient than furnaces, furnaces are still more common throughout the United States and still have plenty of efficient options themselves.

Common types of furnaces include gas, oil, and electricity. Gas furnaces have low operating costs, but also lower efficiency. Oil furnaces have higher operating costs due to the expensive nature of the fuel. Electric furnaces have higher operating costs than gas, but better efficiency.

When analyzing furnaces, you should pay close attention to the AFUE (Annual Fuel Utilization Efficiency) rating to determine their efficiency. If, for example, you find a gas furnace with a 75 percent AFUE, that means you can expect it to convert 75 percent of the energy it takes in through gas into heat, while the remaining 25 percent of energy gets lost in the process. Higher AFUE numbers indicate greater efficiency. High-efficiency systems are those that produce an AFUE of 90 or above.

Interested in learning more about the most efficient Department of Energy-recommended heating systems on the market in Alexandria, VA? We encourage you to contact the team at A Action Home Services with any questions you have. If you’re in the market for a replacement, it’s important for you to seek an efficient model that will save you money over its lifespan.

Share To: